The Passage of Time
It seems like just yesterday I met Gage Alexander Vandermark for the first time. It was a gorgeous day in May and I had just gotten out of work when I made the short drive to introduce myself. Despite the crowd of friends and family, someone plopped him into my arms as soon as I entered the hospital room. A small little peanut of a baby by my family's standards, he slept in my arms for a long time and I instantly felt like the surrogate aunt I became. He also made me $40 richer by arriving on May 27--my guess for the baby pool--so I instantly loved him.
Now here it is, an entire year later and somehow I'm wearing almost the same exact outfit I did the day he was born (a sure indication that I need to shop more). It never fails to surprise me how quickly time marches by. Though each workday seems to drag into infinity, the sun rises and sets and 24 hours later it all starts again. Gage almost walks by himself now; he eats cheese curls and flirts shamelessly with any woman who looks his way. He's starting to talk and he grins at me from a mouth filled with perfect little teeth.
But Gage's birthday isn't the only indication of the passage of time. The Mutchlers celebrate their fifth anniversary today (which, in my world, is the "I forgot to buy you a card" anniversary). Five years ago, I got lost in Allentown three times trying to find my hotel and I danced on a sprained ankle that was so swollen I had to buy bigger shoes for the reception. Five years ago, all my friends from college were still speaking to each other and Katherine Warner wasn't even a twinkle in the eye of her soon-to-be-married parents, Randy and Elizabeth. Today, life and all its crazy circumstances have broken up that old gang of mine, the Warner Family has 3.33 members and the Mutchlers have a beautiful little boy who will celebrate his first birthday next month. My my, how we all do grow up.
(Except Matt, who is STILL in college.)
So on this special day, take a moment to remember the first time you were introduced to Mr. and Mrs. Matthew Mutchler or held Gage Alexander in your arms. I often think that growing up is overrated, but events like these--celebrating old friends and welcoming new ones--make adult life worth living.
Now here it is, an entire year later and somehow I'm wearing almost the same exact outfit I did the day he was born (a sure indication that I need to shop more). It never fails to surprise me how quickly time marches by. Though each workday seems to drag into infinity, the sun rises and sets and 24 hours later it all starts again. Gage almost walks by himself now; he eats cheese curls and flirts shamelessly with any woman who looks his way. He's starting to talk and he grins at me from a mouth filled with perfect little teeth.
But Gage's birthday isn't the only indication of the passage of time. The Mutchlers celebrate their fifth anniversary today (which, in my world, is the "I forgot to buy you a card" anniversary). Five years ago, I got lost in Allentown three times trying to find my hotel and I danced on a sprained ankle that was so swollen I had to buy bigger shoes for the reception. Five years ago, all my friends from college were still speaking to each other and Katherine Warner wasn't even a twinkle in the eye of her soon-to-be-married parents, Randy and Elizabeth. Today, life and all its crazy circumstances have broken up that old gang of mine, the Warner Family has 3.33 members and the Mutchlers have a beautiful little boy who will celebrate his first birthday next month. My my, how we all do grow up.
(Except Matt, who is STILL in college.)
So on this special day, take a moment to remember the first time you were introduced to Mr. and Mrs. Matthew Mutchler or held Gage Alexander in your arms. I often think that growing up is overrated, but events like these--celebrating old friends and welcoming new ones--make adult life worth living.

2 Comments:
Wow, 5 years ago at this time I was trying not to pass out from the sheer volume of flora and possibly fauna lining the stage. I was trying to make sure to stay in step with those that couldn't count to 4 (you know who you are). I was hoping against hope that Mrs. Kern was going to be pleased. And I was about two hours away from being looped on champagne and vodka stuck in race traffic toasting Gil de Farran's win. And I was still multiple hours away from an impromtu version of Piano Man and the wearing of a wig that I had no advance notice of. And I kept smiling all day long hoping that when my day came it would go as well and we would look as happy. And, one year ago I was plopping a baby down in Susie's arms, crazy ain't it?
It's enough that you just remembered our anniversary. I can't believe it's been a whole five years already. So much has changed but these friendships are still strong. I'm so thankful for friends like you.
Post a Comment
<< Home