Summer Reading
I can finally say what I've been waiting to say for ages:
"Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince" comes out next month! Woo hoo! And thanks to the good people at Waldenbooks who called me personally to see if I would like to reserve a copy, I'll have the tome in my hands July 16.
So as not to appear totally Harry obsessed, I'll also note that Janet Evanovich's new book, "Eleven on Top," comes out June 21, and John Irving's "Until I Find You" hits stores July 12. I heard Irving read the first chapter of "Until I Find You" in October and I've been waiting with baited breath ever since. One of the most interesting things he told the audience at the reading was that he never starts writing a chapter until he knows the last line. The man works magic with words. His plots tend to border on the extreme, but his style gives me goosebumps. In an interview with some book magazine, he said that this book resembles the style and tone of "A Prayer for Owen Meany," my favorite book of all time. Even if it doesn't approach the magnitude of "Owen," I know I won't be disappointed. $30 on an Irving novel is money well spent.
The predicament, though, is how I can read all 848 pages of "Until I Find You" in the four days between when it comes out and when "Half-Blood Prince" is released. Might have to take a few vacation days...
"Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince" comes out next month! Woo hoo! And thanks to the good people at Waldenbooks who called me personally to see if I would like to reserve a copy, I'll have the tome in my hands July 16.
So as not to appear totally Harry obsessed, I'll also note that Janet Evanovich's new book, "Eleven on Top," comes out June 21, and John Irving's "Until I Find You" hits stores July 12. I heard Irving read the first chapter of "Until I Find You" in October and I've been waiting with baited breath ever since. One of the most interesting things he told the audience at the reading was that he never starts writing a chapter until he knows the last line. The man works magic with words. His plots tend to border on the extreme, but his style gives me goosebumps. In an interview with some book magazine, he said that this book resembles the style and tone of "A Prayer for Owen Meany," my favorite book of all time. Even if it doesn't approach the magnitude of "Owen," I know I won't be disappointed. $30 on an Irving novel is money well spent.
The predicament, though, is how I can read all 848 pages of "Until I Find You" in the four days between when it comes out and when "Half-Blood Prince" is released. Might have to take a few vacation days...

3 Comments:
Perhaps you should take the vacation days and, um, GET HELP!
When the Half-Blood Prince is released, you should get it on Books-on-Tape. That way you can still enjoy it while wearing the straightjacket.
You guys are just hilarious.
Post a Comment
<< Home