Underdog Dolphins
Let me say upfront that I hate football. But with the Steelers playing the way they have, I've been paying more attention. That's not to say I ever devote all my attention to an entire game, but I'll watch while I do other things, like homework or wrapping presents. Anyway, that's not important.
What is important is that the New England Patriots are playing the Miami Dolphins tonight on Monday Night Football. The Pats are 12-1. The Dolphins? 2-11. Everyone expects some serious butt-kicking to take place tonight. But I know I'll be pulling for the Dolphins. You HAVE to feel sorry for these guys. They apparently stink and the powers-that-be in the NFL and television thought it would be funny to pit the second-best team in football and the reigning Super Bowl champs against a team that is obviously struggling.
Imagine what it much feel like to be a Dolphins fan? Being a Pirates fan, I've been in the same boat: watching Barry Bonds break Hank Aaron's (I think) record against Kip Wells, losing to St. Louis almost every time we played them. Playing some really outstanding team I can't remember on national television, with no one giving us a chance in hell to win.
Here's something, though. We won that game against the really outstanding team, and people in the baseball world were like "Who are these Pirates and where did they come from?" Sure, we went on to have our 10th consecutive losing season, but for one night, everyone thought we were baseball gods. It was some kind of miracle.
Tonight, in the spirit of Christmas and magic, I wish that same kind of miracle for the Dolphins. Forget about what everyone is saying and kick some Patriot butt. We Pittsburgh fans know you have it in you--and we'll be forever grateful.
What is important is that the New England Patriots are playing the Miami Dolphins tonight on Monday Night Football. The Pats are 12-1. The Dolphins? 2-11. Everyone expects some serious butt-kicking to take place tonight. But I know I'll be pulling for the Dolphins. You HAVE to feel sorry for these guys. They apparently stink and the powers-that-be in the NFL and television thought it would be funny to pit the second-best team in football and the reigning Super Bowl champs against a team that is obviously struggling.
Imagine what it much feel like to be a Dolphins fan? Being a Pirates fan, I've been in the same boat: watching Barry Bonds break Hank Aaron's (I think) record against Kip Wells, losing to St. Louis almost every time we played them. Playing some really outstanding team I can't remember on national television, with no one giving us a chance in hell to win.
Here's something, though. We won that game against the really outstanding team, and people in the baseball world were like "Who are these Pirates and where did they come from?" Sure, we went on to have our 10th consecutive losing season, but for one night, everyone thought we were baseball gods. It was some kind of miracle.
Tonight, in the spirit of Christmas and magic, I wish that same kind of miracle for the Dolphins. Forget about what everyone is saying and kick some Patriot butt. We Pittsburgh fans know you have it in you--and we'll be forever grateful.

7 Comments:
Trust me, the powers-that-be did not choose to have a 2-11 team play a 12-1 team. They're in the same division so they play twice a year no matter what. And both the league and the television people are embarrassed as hell that the game is being played on monday night while the now thirteen-win Steelers don't even play once on monday night this year.
It all comes down to expectations. The Dolphins were expected to do well, until their best offensive player retired to smoke pot, their best wide receiver got injured and neither of their two young quarterbacks panned out. They actually have a top defense, but that doesn't matter when you have a offense that Bill could stop.
(And if you haven't seen Bill tackle, it's a treat. "Close eyes. Pray. Close eyes. Pray.")
Anyway, I agree about rooting for the Dolphins since the Steelers' magic number for home field advantage is two, but I just wanted to point out that this seemingly rout of a game is a major headache to the league and one of the reason that pretty soon, the tv network will be allowed to switch the Monday night game with a sunday game on only a couple weeks notice to avoid mismatches on monday night, which will be a major pain to those who travel from out-of-state to go to the games.
Damn, what the hell did I do to you people recently?
I can't even believe it! The Dolphins won!
OK, let's try for another Christmas miracle...will Colin Firth fit under my tree?
I'm sure Colin Firth would fit under your tree, but only if he's chopped up into little bitty pieces.
It doesn't have to be itty bitty pieces, maybe just in half.
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
There's only one half I really care about, and rumor has it, the half I want doesn't need the brain to function :)
(There goes my PG rating!)
Post a Comment
<< Home