June 10, 2005

Starbucks Man Exists

I think I've been living under a rock.

Last month, Starbucks pretty much inundated the television-viewing public with it's new commercial. You know the one--a petite blonde walks to the kitchen in her office building and the fridge just happens to be stocked with Starbucks frappuccino. She takes ones, opens it and suddenly big band music starts. Everyone she encounters turns into this hot guy singing "Come Fly with Me." The nerdy guy in the hall, the window-washer, the doorman. Her life improves all around by drinking that cool, refreshing, creamy coffee goodness.

(It doesn't show her running to the bathroom after 10 minutes because of all the preservatives and additives it takes to make that concoction taste so good. But that's beside the point.)

Anyway, I loved this commercial, mainly for the guy who sang. He was fantastic! A throw-back to the 30s or 40s with his smooth style and boy-next-door good looks. I went to the Starbucks site to try to figure out who this guy was, but no luck. I figured he was just an actor lip-synching to Sinatra.

Today I found out that he's a real person, Michael Buble, and apparently he's quite famous. Somehow I missed it. I must be getting old, because I just hadn't heard of him. Does aging mean we lose touch with pop culture? I'm not even 30...I can't imagine how out-of-it I'll be 10 years from now.

3 Comments:

Blogger Bill said...

If you watch the commercial closely, the magazine cover that he sings from has his name on it.

10:45 AM  
Blogger iSuze said...

I guess I never looked that closely. And I haven't seen it in ages, so I don't know if I'll get a chance to scrutinize it now.

The commercial does its job, though. Now I'm craving a frothy, icy, creamy coffee beverage--even though I know I would pay for it later.

10:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

can anyone identify the blonde woman?

11:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home