Calling All V'Day Fanatics and Haters
Hello loyal readers!
I'm taking a journalism class this semester, and my first story pitch is due tomorrow at noon. I've been kicking around a few ideas, but I think I finally found something fun that I could do a nice job on.
People hate Valentine's Day. I know, because I'm one of them. You always see these stories in the media about people who rebel against the date, reject love, despise yet another holiday manufactured by Hallmark.
I thought I'd try to bust out of the model a little bit and aim for a story about people who actually LIKE Valentine's Day, who have had a particularly memorable one when something went right. People who go beyond the commercial nature of the holiday and take advantage of the opportunity to remind someone how much they're loved. It doesn't even have to be their boyfriend or significant other--a lady at work is a widow, but she told me about how she tries to buy her kids something each year to remind them that she loves them.
So, you folks out there--V'day naysayers and champions alike--let me know your take on Valentine's Day. Give me an example of a particularly memorable Valentine's Day and why it stuck with you.
My friend Amy and I always write to each other on Valentine's Day, recalling the time we sat and waited for the bus to go to the mall when we were in college. I remember looking at her and saying, "It's Valentine's Day. And I'm waiting for the bus." It's since become our creedo, and possibly one of the better Valentine's Day I've had because I was with my best friend.
So what's your story? Either "comment" and tell me, or send it via email if you know me.
Does anyone like this idea?
I'm taking a journalism class this semester, and my first story pitch is due tomorrow at noon. I've been kicking around a few ideas, but I think I finally found something fun that I could do a nice job on.
People hate Valentine's Day. I know, because I'm one of them. You always see these stories in the media about people who rebel against the date, reject love, despise yet another holiday manufactured by Hallmark.
I thought I'd try to bust out of the model a little bit and aim for a story about people who actually LIKE Valentine's Day, who have had a particularly memorable one when something went right. People who go beyond the commercial nature of the holiday and take advantage of the opportunity to remind someone how much they're loved. It doesn't even have to be their boyfriend or significant other--a lady at work is a widow, but she told me about how she tries to buy her kids something each year to remind them that she loves them.
So, you folks out there--V'day naysayers and champions alike--let me know your take on Valentine's Day. Give me an example of a particularly memorable Valentine's Day and why it stuck with you.
My friend Amy and I always write to each other on Valentine's Day, recalling the time we sat and waited for the bus to go to the mall when we were in college. I remember looking at her and saying, "It's Valentine's Day. And I'm waiting for the bus." It's since become our creedo, and possibly one of the better Valentine's Day I've had because I was with my best friend.
So what's your story? Either "comment" and tell me, or send it via email if you know me.
Does anyone like this idea?

1 Comments:
Terri and I are approaching our 13th Valentine's Day. We've done a multitude of things, but I'll most likely have to check to see which are allowable by law and Terri to tell you. I think the opposing viewpoints on Valentine's Day is a good idea. But somewhere in the paper you have to work in the phrase, "Jane, you ignorant slut."
Post a Comment
<< Home