June 17, 2005

Inspiration

I heard "Badlands" today over lunch, and I was reminded of how inspirational Bruce Springsteen can really be. Some people think he's an old man who peaked in the 80s, but I'll always think he's the Boss and his songs will always make me feel a little better about life. So for anyone out there wondering if they're alone in the struggle for meaning in the uphill battle of day-to-day, I give you "Badlands" (mostly from memory).

Well lights out tonight
Trouble in the heartland
Got a head-on collision smashing in my guts man.
I'm caught in a crossfire that I don't understand.
But there's one thing I know for sure, girl.
I don't give a damn for the same old played out scenes.
Baby I don't give a damn for just the in-betweens.
Honey I want the heart, I want the soul,
I want control right now.
You better listen to me baby.
Talk about a dream, try to make it real
You wake up in the night with a fear so real
You spend your life waiting for a moment that just won't come.
Don't waste your life waiting.

Badlands--you've got to live it every day.
Let the broken hearts stand as the price you've got to pay.
Keeping pushin' 'til it's understood
And these badlands start treating us good.

(Whoa whoa whoa)

Working in the fields 'til you get your back burned
Working 'neath the wheels 'til you get your facts learned.
Baby I got my facts learned real good right now.
You gotta get straight darlin'.
Poor man wanna be rich.
Rich man wanna be king.
And a king ain't satisfied 'til he rules everything.
I want to go out tonight,
I want to find out what I got.

Well I believe in the love that you gave me.
I believe in the faith that can save me.
I believe in the hope and I pray that someday
It may raise me above these badlands.
You gotta live it every day
Let the broken hearts stand as the price you've gotta pay.
Keep pushing 'til it's understood and these badlands start treating us good.

(Whoa whoa whoa whoa)

For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside
That it ain't no sin to be glad your alive,
I wanna find one face that ain't lookin' through me.
I wanna find one place,
I wanna spit in the face of these badlands.
You've gotta live it every day.
Let the broken hearts stand as the price you've got to pay.
Keep pushin' 'til it's understood
And these badlands start treating us good.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home