July 09, 2006

Celebrity Sightings, Day 1

As part of the All-Star Game festivities in Pittsburgh this week, I'm volunteering for Major League Baseball at a local hotel. I make sure the shuttles run as close to on time as possible and help guests board the shuttle for PNC Park. I was certain I wouldn't see anyone famous at my hotel (which is off the beaten path) but today I saw Rob Dibble from Fox's The Best Damn Sports Show Period and former San Diego Padre Tony Gwynn (who might work for ESPN now). I also saw Doc Ellis and Bob Pompeani from a distance, and met some bigwigs from Topps, the San Diego Padres and Procter&Gamble.

In general, I can't believe how nice all the visitors are. And I knew I was doing my job well when a guest from LA told me how wonderful all the volunteers have been to them on their visit and the fantastic way we're representing the city. I'm beat--my feet feel about five times their normal size and I can't seem to muster up the energy to iron my khaki shorts for tomorrow--but it's an experience to see these people and help make their stay in Pittsburgh as enjoyable and hassle-free as possible. Sixty years from now, when I hopefully and alive with grandkids in their late 20s, I can tell them all about how I was part of ASG 2006. I think that's pretty cool.

More celebrity sightings tomorrow, if there are any.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home