That American Idol Dude
Last year, I watched the final episode of American Idol, despite the fact that I hadn't seen any episode leading up to it. Ever. I found myself pulling for Bo because he seemed so much less candy-store-sickening-sweet than Carrie Underwood. He sang "Vehicle" with some soul. I thought he had potential.
What a sell-out. I just heard his new song on the radio and it's crap. Crap crap crap. He sounds just like every other male singing now, even that British dude whose song abut seeing and falling in love with some girl on the subway was great for like two weeks.
American music is going to hell. Except the country folks, who seem to be getting better (except for the Carrie Underwood bitch). Much as I love country, it would be great to have some new rock or decent pop music to get excited about.
Maybe I should download The Fray's album, just for kicks.
What a sell-out. I just heard his new song on the radio and it's crap. Crap crap crap. He sounds just like every other male singing now, even that British dude whose song abut seeing and falling in love with some girl on the subway was great for like two weeks.
American music is going to hell. Except the country folks, who seem to be getting better (except for the Carrie Underwood bitch). Much as I love country, it would be great to have some new rock or decent pop music to get excited about.
Maybe I should download The Fray's album, just for kicks.

2 Comments:
You're right about Bo's first single, but give him the benefit of the doubt. He probably cringes at singing it. He doesn't have the clout yet to have much control over his records. The record company probably made him record songs that they think would go over with the female pop music fans that are American Idol fans. At the very least they made him record one song that they could release as a hit single towards that demographic. More likely, they allowed him to choose one song that was his style and the rest were songs they wanted.
I say wait til his second album comes out. That should have more of the rock stuff he's best at because he'll have more power to insist on what he wants as well as more time to write his own songs. Think about how much better Kelly Clarkson's second album was. She had more control over that.
Also, give Carrie Underwood the same benefit of the doubt. She has a great voice, but you could tell she didn't have the experience with music Bo had so she probably sang whatever they put in front of her. Except for one song "When He Cheats", her album is all the same feel-good, semi-religioius crap. That one song, though, shows potential and, remember, she does have the best country singer as her idol.
Also, compare her to this year Carrie-wannabee Kellie, and Carrie's sweetness isn't so bad.
American music is as great as it ever was, it's just mainstream American music that's sucking. Go to pitchforkmedia.com, or even ask me for some recommendations.
What the heck--check out The National, Sufjan Stevens, Stars, Ted Leo, or the New Pornographers. I think you'd have to like one or two songs in there. :)
Post a Comment
<< Home