I Write the Songs
Today’s Post-Gazette featured an interesting article on memorable songs and what they mean to people. At first I thought it was kind of a dorky article. I mean, is this really news? But it caught my attention, because listed among some readers’ favorites was Pink Floyd’s classic "Comfortably Numb," from the even more classic album "The Wall."
"Hmmm," I thought. "It’s been a long time since I dusted off the ol' Floyd."
So before I left work today I made a CD from some Pink Floyd songs I had once burned into iTunes. And you know what, that article had a point. Some of these lyrics stay with you forever and just don’t go away. Some of them, like "Comfortably Numb," make me feel a certain way, while others, like "Whot’s Uh the Deal" (from "Obscured by Clouds") make me recall certain times in my life that were good or sad or scary.
It's amazing how universal music is, and how everyone in every culture is somehow influenced or affected by it. Amazing how a few words set to a tune can make you recall one specific moment in time -- the first kiss from your high school boyfriend, your first dance as husband and wife, the day your child was born, the day you bought your first house. And while I appreciate a good tune, it really is the words that get me and stay lodged in my brain forever. (For example, I still somehow know all the words to "Baby Got Back" from my junior high days. Why, I don’t know. It's a curse. But it comes in handy at weddings.)
With that in mind, I share some of my favorite lyrics. I’d love to hear yours.
From Pink Floyd’s "Time"
... And you run and you run
To catch up with the sun
But it’s sinking.
Racing around to come up behind you again.
The sun is the same in a relative way,
But you're older.
Shorter of breath, one day closer to death.
Every year is getting shorter,
Can never seem to find the time.
Friends that either come to naught,
Or half a page of scribbled lines.
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way.
The time has gone, the song is over.
Thought I'd something more to say.
from The Killers' "All These Things That I've Done"
Another head aches, another heart breaks,
I'm so much older than I can take.
And my affection, well it comes and goes.
I need direction to perfection, oh oh oh oh
Help me out.
from Bill Deasy's "Blue Sky Gray"
You make poetry from lies 'til it almost sounds like the truth.
I wouldn't be surprised if she's finally on to you.
Where did you go last night, while she slept in sheets of white,
Dreaming of you?
Why do you turn the blue sky gray?
She's the best thing ever.
Try to tell yourself that it's OK.
But we both know better.
'Cause it’s never gonna change
Until you look into the mirror,
And get honest with yourself.
Is the message getting clearer?
Oh why do you always have to paint
The blue sky gray?
from Dar Williams' "Iowa"
Way back where I come from,
We never mean to bother,
We don't like to make our passions other people's concerns.
And we walk in the world of safe people.
And at night we walk into our houses and burn.
from Faith Hill's "Fireflies"
I believe in fairy tales
And dreamers' dreams like bed-sheet sails.
And I believe in Peter Pan and miracles,
Anything I can to get by.
And fireflies.
from Springsteen's "Thunder Road"
(Actually, this is the whole thing. It deserves to be written in its entirety.)
Well the screen door slams; Mary's dress sways.
Like a vision she dances across the porch as the radio plays,
Roy Orbison singing for the lonely.
Hey that's me and I want you only.
Don’t turn me home again,
I just can't face myself alone.
Don't run back inside, darling,
You know just what I'm here for.
So you're scared and you're thinking that
Maybe we ain't that young anymore.
Show a little faith -- there's magic in the night.
You ain't a beauty, but hey, you're all right.
Oh and that's all right with me.
You can hide 'neath your covers
Study your pain.
Make crosses from old lovers,
Throw roses in the rain.
Waste your summer praying in vain
For a savior to rise from these streets.
Well, now, I'm no hero
That's understood.
All the redemption I can offer is beneath this dirty hood.
With a chance to make it good somehow,
Hey what else can we do now
Except roll down the window and let the wind blow back your hair?
Well the night's busted open
These two lanes will take us anywhere.
We've got one last chance to make it real.
To trade in these wings on some wheels.
Climb in back -- heaven’s waiting down on the tracks.
Oh, come take my hand.
We're riding out tonight to case the promised land.
Whoa Thunder Road. Oh Thunder Road, Thunder Road.
Lying out there like a killer in the sun.
Hey I know it's late, but we can make it if we run.
Whoa, Thunder Road. Sit tight, take hold.
Thunder Road.
Well I got this guitar and I learned how to make it talk.
And my car's out back if you're ready to take
That long walk
From your front porch to my front seat.
The door's open, but the ride ain't free.
Yeah I know you're lonely.
There's words that I ain't spoken.
But tonight we'll be free.
All the promises will be broken.
There were ghosts in the eyes
Of all the boys you sent away.
They haunt this dusty beach road
In skeleton frames of burned-out Chevrolets.
They scream your name at night in the street.
Your graduation gown lies in rags at their feet.
And in the lonely cool before dawn,
You hear their engines roaring on.
But when you get to the porch they're gone
On the wind.
So Mary climb in.
It's a town full of losers
And we're pulling out of here to win.
"Hmmm," I thought. "It’s been a long time since I dusted off the ol' Floyd."
So before I left work today I made a CD from some Pink Floyd songs I had once burned into iTunes. And you know what, that article had a point. Some of these lyrics stay with you forever and just don’t go away. Some of them, like "Comfortably Numb," make me feel a certain way, while others, like "Whot’s Uh the Deal" (from "Obscured by Clouds") make me recall certain times in my life that were good or sad or scary.
It's amazing how universal music is, and how everyone in every culture is somehow influenced or affected by it. Amazing how a few words set to a tune can make you recall one specific moment in time -- the first kiss from your high school boyfriend, your first dance as husband and wife, the day your child was born, the day you bought your first house. And while I appreciate a good tune, it really is the words that get me and stay lodged in my brain forever. (For example, I still somehow know all the words to "Baby Got Back" from my junior high days. Why, I don’t know. It's a curse. But it comes in handy at weddings.)
With that in mind, I share some of my favorite lyrics. I’d love to hear yours.
From Pink Floyd’s "Time"
... And you run and you run
To catch up with the sun
But it’s sinking.
Racing around to come up behind you again.
The sun is the same in a relative way,
But you're older.
Shorter of breath, one day closer to death.
Every year is getting shorter,
Can never seem to find the time.
Friends that either come to naught,
Or half a page of scribbled lines.
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way.
The time has gone, the song is over.
Thought I'd something more to say.
from The Killers' "All These Things That I've Done"
Another head aches, another heart breaks,
I'm so much older than I can take.
And my affection, well it comes and goes.
I need direction to perfection, oh oh oh oh
Help me out.
from Bill Deasy's "Blue Sky Gray"
You make poetry from lies 'til it almost sounds like the truth.
I wouldn't be surprised if she's finally on to you.
Where did you go last night, while she slept in sheets of white,
Dreaming of you?
Why do you turn the blue sky gray?
She's the best thing ever.
Try to tell yourself that it's OK.
But we both know better.
'Cause it’s never gonna change
Until you look into the mirror,
And get honest with yourself.
Is the message getting clearer?
Oh why do you always have to paint
The blue sky gray?
from Dar Williams' "Iowa"
Way back where I come from,
We never mean to bother,
We don't like to make our passions other people's concerns.
And we walk in the world of safe people.
And at night we walk into our houses and burn.
from Faith Hill's "Fireflies"
I believe in fairy tales
And dreamers' dreams like bed-sheet sails.
And I believe in Peter Pan and miracles,
Anything I can to get by.
And fireflies.
from Springsteen's "Thunder Road"
(Actually, this is the whole thing. It deserves to be written in its entirety.)
Well the screen door slams; Mary's dress sways.
Like a vision she dances across the porch as the radio plays,
Roy Orbison singing for the lonely.
Hey that's me and I want you only.
Don’t turn me home again,
I just can't face myself alone.
Don't run back inside, darling,
You know just what I'm here for.
So you're scared and you're thinking that
Maybe we ain't that young anymore.
Show a little faith -- there's magic in the night.
You ain't a beauty, but hey, you're all right.
Oh and that's all right with me.
You can hide 'neath your covers
Study your pain.
Make crosses from old lovers,
Throw roses in the rain.
Waste your summer praying in vain
For a savior to rise from these streets.
Well, now, I'm no hero
That's understood.
All the redemption I can offer is beneath this dirty hood.
With a chance to make it good somehow,
Hey what else can we do now
Except roll down the window and let the wind blow back your hair?
Well the night's busted open
These two lanes will take us anywhere.
We've got one last chance to make it real.
To trade in these wings on some wheels.
Climb in back -- heaven’s waiting down on the tracks.
Oh, come take my hand.
We're riding out tonight to case the promised land.
Whoa Thunder Road. Oh Thunder Road, Thunder Road.
Lying out there like a killer in the sun.
Hey I know it's late, but we can make it if we run.
Whoa, Thunder Road. Sit tight, take hold.
Thunder Road.
Well I got this guitar and I learned how to make it talk.
And my car's out back if you're ready to take
That long walk
From your front porch to my front seat.
The door's open, but the ride ain't free.
Yeah I know you're lonely.
There's words that I ain't spoken.
But tonight we'll be free.
All the promises will be broken.
There were ghosts in the eyes
Of all the boys you sent away.
They haunt this dusty beach road
In skeleton frames of burned-out Chevrolets.
They scream your name at night in the street.
Your graduation gown lies in rags at their feet.
And in the lonely cool before dawn,
You hear their engines roaring on.
But when you get to the porch they're gone
On the wind.
So Mary climb in.
It's a town full of losers
And we're pulling out of here to win.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home