August 12, 2005

Good Night Irene

So later today I head to North Carolina to visit a friend stationed at Marine Corps Air Station New River (or something like that). It's always great to see him, but it doesn't hurt that he's less than an hour from my favorite place in the universe: Emerald Isle, NC. Desperately in need of a vacation, I booked a flight two weeks ago and told him to watch out because I was coming. Classes start up again in two weeks and I can't handle the grueling three months that are the fall semester without a little preemptive R&R. Even sitting by his apartment complex's pool, reading the copy of "Pride and Prejudice" I'm determined to appreciate, would be a fantastic break from the monotony of my normal daily routine. (Disclaimer: this does not mean I hate my job. It just means that the day-to-day of it gets a little wearing after a while.)

Anyway, my Marine friend calls me today and says that Tropical Storm Irene might be spreading her love around the Carolina Coast early next week--right in the middle of my vaykay. I say "I thought she was going to pose zero threat to the USA and would pitter away into nothing in the middle of the Atlantic." He pauses. "Susie," he says, "haven't you been watching the Weather Channel."

No I HAVEN'T been watching the Weather Channel because I don't have friggin' cable thanks to stupid Comcast and their overly ambitious cable technicians. But that's a different story.

Turns out that if Irene goes above a category 2 hurricane my Marine friend has to fly his helicopter to safety in some non-coastal location, leaving me all alone in Jacksonville, NC, with nothing to keep me company except his big screen TV and the howling winds threatening to break through the windows and scare the hell out of me.

So, Defying Gravity readers, I ask you this teensy favor as you head into your weekends: think positive thoughts about Irene moving into the Atlantic and missing the East Coast entirely. Project images of a storm-free ocean in the general direction of North Carolina. Or, if you hear of a bad storm approaching that area, at least have a good chuckle thinking of me huddled alone in a strange apartment in a strange place 600 miles from home, riding out the storm with nothing but a television to protect me. My luck, the cable will be the first thing to go.