New Neighbors and the Cable Conspiracy
If anyone out there in Defying Gravity land knows me, they know that two new tenants have moved into my six-unit apartment building in the past few weeks. Now, it's bad enough that both are vegans with bumperstickers telling the world not to eat meat. One of the girls has a bumper sticker that reads "Bush Gives P*##! a Bad Name," and the other has a yippy Jack Russell Terrier that barks at his own shadow. Now, to make matters even worse, one of them has ruined the deal I had going for my cable TV.
When I moved in, I immediately had cable. Hooked the TV up and there it was. Did it just come with the apartment? Who knows. I enjoyed it because I knew it wouldn't last. Like my dad recently told me, "Life will always come up and bite you in the butt, Susie. Get used to having a sore ass." Well, today that ass ache worsened when I came home and turned on the TV to static. Yes, that's right. My cable was gone like yesterday.
I know that as a law-abiding citizen, I've been wrong to assume cable was just a perk of the building. But cable is expensive and I'm broke. As I sat and stared at the snow on my screen earlier tonight, I thought, "I can do this. I can live without TV." But then, five minutes later I thought "Who the hell am I kidding? I can't live a week without TV!" I can't live without "30 Minute Meals" or "Design on a Dime." I can't bear an existence without "Desperate Housewives" or even "Jeopardy." Right now, I'm watching "Sense and Sensibility" just to give myself some company while I type. I have to bite the bullet and actually pay for stinking cable, do my fair share to support the mega-billion-dollar media conglomerate as they try to take over the world.
I'm ticked off at the cable company for charging $45 a month for 60 channels that never have anything on, but I'm more pissed at my new neighbors. Because one of them, I know, probably wanted digital cable and sent for the cable guy so he could connect it all up. And when he did, he realized that someone in the building was getting free service and he decided to just pull the plug. Ugh. In doing so, he took the one perk of my increasing dreary, mundane life. Yay.
The one good thing is that it gives me more fuel for scowling at that little yappy dog.
When I moved in, I immediately had cable. Hooked the TV up and there it was. Did it just come with the apartment? Who knows. I enjoyed it because I knew it wouldn't last. Like my dad recently told me, "Life will always come up and bite you in the butt, Susie. Get used to having a sore ass." Well, today that ass ache worsened when I came home and turned on the TV to static. Yes, that's right. My cable was gone like yesterday.
I know that as a law-abiding citizen, I've been wrong to assume cable was just a perk of the building. But cable is expensive and I'm broke. As I sat and stared at the snow on my screen earlier tonight, I thought, "I can do this. I can live without TV." But then, five minutes later I thought "Who the hell am I kidding? I can't live a week without TV!" I can't live without "30 Minute Meals" or "Design on a Dime." I can't bear an existence without "Desperate Housewives" or even "Jeopardy." Right now, I'm watching "Sense and Sensibility" just to give myself some company while I type. I have to bite the bullet and actually pay for stinking cable, do my fair share to support the mega-billion-dollar media conglomerate as they try to take over the world.
I'm ticked off at the cable company for charging $45 a month for 60 channels that never have anything on, but I'm more pissed at my new neighbors. Because one of them, I know, probably wanted digital cable and sent for the cable guy so he could connect it all up. And when he did, he realized that someone in the building was getting free service and he decided to just pull the plug. Ugh. In doing so, he took the one perk of my increasing dreary, mundane life. Yay.
The one good thing is that it gives me more fuel for scowling at that little yappy dog.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home