Quick Update
Hello Defying Gravity readers! (If any of you are still left out there, that is.)
Sitting around this evening, twiddling my thumbs and waiting for the dryer to finish its thing so I can have clean washcloths in the morning, I realized that it's been nearly six months since my last post.
Six months? Can that possibly be right?!?!
Indeed, though, the time has passed and I have been anything but diligent about posting. I'm not making any promises here, or vowing to post once a week or anything, but I would like to get back to this with something resembling regularity. I have a bunch of things on my mind that would make good blogging topics (why, for instance, people insist on talking on their cell phones at the top of their lungs on the bus! Geez! I don't NEED to know what you want Henry to pick up at Wal-Mart on his way home from work, and I certainly don't need to know your dinner menu. Text message, please, or just friggin' save it for when you get home!), but here's a quick update on Susie's Life Since January:
1. I once again developed a ridiculous crush on someone I had absolutely no hope of attaining, mainly because there's like a 95 percent chance that he's gay. And tonight that crush officially (and somewhat sadly) came to a close when I realized that, regardless of whether or not he digs dudes or chicks, he's an ass. Ass ass ass. I can't even interest this person in conversation with me, let alone the possibility of friendship. So tonight I've decided that this is over. I am not wasting any more time or effort on this man. I have tried--and haven't even been all googly-eyed "I'm smitten with you please notice me before I die from love" about it--and he barely speaks to me unless he has to. So while at this picnic where Possibly Gay Crush of Susie basically ignored Susie, I remembered the wise counsel once given to me by a former trombone player from my alma mater. "Screw him, Susie. If you being you isn't enough, it's his loss." And you know what, he's right! This is Possibly Gay Crush of Susie's loss. Dude, I didn't want to have your babies--I just wanted to ask you out for coffee. Now that will never happen because YOU WON'T EVEN TALK TO ME!
2. Work is still work, but the scary yelling dude from my previous post (see below) kicked back into action after a two-month hiatus. It got so bad about a month ago that I had to talk with my boss about it, which led to talks with his boss, HR, and lots of other stuff. Basically, he's off my project and I don't have to work with him anymore. But he's slandering me in the office, telling my boss that I don't know how to do my job and that all of the problems he had (which extended to other folks in the office, believe me, and lots of people have come out of the woodwork since I went to HR) are because I'm impossible to communicate with. The only way to reach me, apparently, is by yelling violently. Nice. This is all kind of depressing, because I had been settling into the job pretty well over the past few months. Sure, it wasn't ideal, but I was getting used to it and coping pretty well. Now I'm ready to get out again. Even though our office has a new swanky address downtown with a fittingly swanky view of the city, I'm ready for something different, which leads me to...
3. Has anyone else out there ever just realized the professional path they were pursuing was just about the most boring thing in the universe? I mean, I spend each day of my life doing roughly the same old crap, and nothing I do makes any difference in the universe at all. In fact, a recent communication survey of employees shows that hardly anyone reads the publication I devote 90 percent of my time to. Lovely. This, combined with the fact that arguably the most influential teacher I ever had died this spring, makes me wonder just what I'm doing with my life. Some say that work is just work, and it's what you do outside that matters. But since I've yet to find the man with whom I can make children to pass along my legacy, I wonder about how I'll leave my little mark on the world. I've always regretting not getting my teaching certificate while I was in college, and the more I think about it, the more I'm convinced that something is leading me in that direction. Is a change in store? Maybe it is. Will it be hard? Sure. But then again, most things that are worthwhile in the end are hard. So maybe it's time I make the leap (I just need a job that will give me the time to go back to school...again!)
4. At a doctor's appointment on Friday, I realized that I weigh less now than I have in at least six years. Possibly more, but that's as far as my records stretched into the past. I haven't lost a pound since I started my new job. I just gain a few pounds and lose them, gain them again and lose them. But I'm going to start trying for the next 25 lbs. That'll put me at a weight I haven't seen since 1999, probably. And after that I'll have another 25 to go until I'm "healthy." By next year's doctor's appointment, I hope to have lost at least that first 25. If I can lose this next 50, I'll have lost 80 pounds total. Wow. Let's hope I can do it. If anything, though, I've lost enough that my blood pressure--always something crazy like 145/90 when I was at the doctor's office--has dropped to a healthy 120/80. Yay! Not bad for a chubby girl!
5. The dryer is done. My clothes are clean. That's it for tonight!
Sitting around this evening, twiddling my thumbs and waiting for the dryer to finish its thing so I can have clean washcloths in the morning, I realized that it's been nearly six months since my last post.
Six months? Can that possibly be right?!?!
Indeed, though, the time has passed and I have been anything but diligent about posting. I'm not making any promises here, or vowing to post once a week or anything, but I would like to get back to this with something resembling regularity. I have a bunch of things on my mind that would make good blogging topics (why, for instance, people insist on talking on their cell phones at the top of their lungs on the bus! Geez! I don't NEED to know what you want Henry to pick up at Wal-Mart on his way home from work, and I certainly don't need to know your dinner menu. Text message, please, or just friggin' save it for when you get home!), but here's a quick update on Susie's Life Since January:
1. I once again developed a ridiculous crush on someone I had absolutely no hope of attaining, mainly because there's like a 95 percent chance that he's gay. And tonight that crush officially (and somewhat sadly) came to a close when I realized that, regardless of whether or not he digs dudes or chicks, he's an ass. Ass ass ass. I can't even interest this person in conversation with me, let alone the possibility of friendship. So tonight I've decided that this is over. I am not wasting any more time or effort on this man. I have tried--and haven't even been all googly-eyed "I'm smitten with you please notice me before I die from love" about it--and he barely speaks to me unless he has to. So while at this picnic where Possibly Gay Crush of Susie basically ignored Susie, I remembered the wise counsel once given to me by a former trombone player from my alma mater. "Screw him, Susie. If you being you isn't enough, it's his loss." And you know what, he's right! This is Possibly Gay Crush of Susie's loss. Dude, I didn't want to have your babies--I just wanted to ask you out for coffee. Now that will never happen because YOU WON'T EVEN TALK TO ME!
2. Work is still work, but the scary yelling dude from my previous post (see below) kicked back into action after a two-month hiatus. It got so bad about a month ago that I had to talk with my boss about it, which led to talks with his boss, HR, and lots of other stuff. Basically, he's off my project and I don't have to work with him anymore. But he's slandering me in the office, telling my boss that I don't know how to do my job and that all of the problems he had (which extended to other folks in the office, believe me, and lots of people have come out of the woodwork since I went to HR) are because I'm impossible to communicate with. The only way to reach me, apparently, is by yelling violently. Nice. This is all kind of depressing, because I had been settling into the job pretty well over the past few months. Sure, it wasn't ideal, but I was getting used to it and coping pretty well. Now I'm ready to get out again. Even though our office has a new swanky address downtown with a fittingly swanky view of the city, I'm ready for something different, which leads me to...
3. Has anyone else out there ever just realized the professional path they were pursuing was just about the most boring thing in the universe? I mean, I spend each day of my life doing roughly the same old crap, and nothing I do makes any difference in the universe at all. In fact, a recent communication survey of employees shows that hardly anyone reads the publication I devote 90 percent of my time to. Lovely. This, combined with the fact that arguably the most influential teacher I ever had died this spring, makes me wonder just what I'm doing with my life. Some say that work is just work, and it's what you do outside that matters. But since I've yet to find the man with whom I can make children to pass along my legacy, I wonder about how I'll leave my little mark on the world. I've always regretting not getting my teaching certificate while I was in college, and the more I think about it, the more I'm convinced that something is leading me in that direction. Is a change in store? Maybe it is. Will it be hard? Sure. But then again, most things that are worthwhile in the end are hard. So maybe it's time I make the leap (I just need a job that will give me the time to go back to school...again!)
4. At a doctor's appointment on Friday, I realized that I weigh less now than I have in at least six years. Possibly more, but that's as far as my records stretched into the past. I haven't lost a pound since I started my new job. I just gain a few pounds and lose them, gain them again and lose them. But I'm going to start trying for the next 25 lbs. That'll put me at a weight I haven't seen since 1999, probably. And after that I'll have another 25 to go until I'm "healthy." By next year's doctor's appointment, I hope to have lost at least that first 25. If I can lose this next 50, I'll have lost 80 pounds total. Wow. Let's hope I can do it. If anything, though, I've lost enough that my blood pressure--always something crazy like 145/90 when I was at the doctor's office--has dropped to a healthy 120/80. Yay! Not bad for a chubby girl!
5. The dryer is done. My clothes are clean. That's it for tonight!

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home