Mission Girlification
Lately, I've been trying to look more "girly." I'm not sure why, although I'm mostly convinced that it's to demonstrate to certain single men in my life that I am, indeed, a girl. But for whatever reason, I've been trying to girlify myself. I got a cute haircut. I bought some cute shirts.
But the one thing I'm really having a hard time mastering is makeup. I love looking at the stuff and imaging what I would look like in a "What Not To Wear"-like makeover ambush. Without fail, though, I get the stuff home and I have no idea what to do with it. Tonight, for example, I bought this really cool looking eye shadow compact thing that had three colors. In theory, you put on color on the eyelid, the other in the crease of your eyelid and the third on your brow bone.
Right. It totally didn't work like that.
I don't know what went wrong. It seemed so easy on the picture, but when I tried to grasp that little teeny tiny eye shadow applying stick thing in my pudgy hand, things just went to hell in a handbasket. You can't seem to see the first color, and the second color smudged all over my eye instead of going into the "crease." I'm not sure of the point of the third color. All I know is that I look like a nightmare.
Sigh. Maybe I should just give up and forget about Mission Girlification. But I don't get how I can master mascara and not be able to apply something as simple as eye shadow! Maybe I have some kind of learning disorder when it comes to this kind of thing. I can earn an advanced degree in writing. But I can't put on makeup. It just doesn't make sense.
Let's hope the cute haircut is enough to convince NonBoyfriend that I'm a girl. Because if things keep going the same way in the eye-makeup department, I'll either be raccoonish from the eye shadow smears or blind from poking myself with that little stick.
But the one thing I'm really having a hard time mastering is makeup. I love looking at the stuff and imaging what I would look like in a "What Not To Wear"-like makeover ambush. Without fail, though, I get the stuff home and I have no idea what to do with it. Tonight, for example, I bought this really cool looking eye shadow compact thing that had three colors. In theory, you put on color on the eyelid, the other in the crease of your eyelid and the third on your brow bone.
Right. It totally didn't work like that.
I don't know what went wrong. It seemed so easy on the picture, but when I tried to grasp that little teeny tiny eye shadow applying stick thing in my pudgy hand, things just went to hell in a handbasket. You can't seem to see the first color, and the second color smudged all over my eye instead of going into the "crease." I'm not sure of the point of the third color. All I know is that I look like a nightmare.
Sigh. Maybe I should just give up and forget about Mission Girlification. But I don't get how I can master mascara and not be able to apply something as simple as eye shadow! Maybe I have some kind of learning disorder when it comes to this kind of thing. I can earn an advanced degree in writing. But I can't put on makeup. It just doesn't make sense.
Let's hope the cute haircut is enough to convince NonBoyfriend that I'm a girl. Because if things keep going the same way in the eye-makeup department, I'll either be raccoonish from the eye shadow smears or blind from poking myself with that little stick.

2 Comments:
Need help with makeup? Just go to the makeup department of a department store in the mall or even a makeup store like Sephora. Have one of the women there apply the makeup for you and simply pay attention to what she does.
Anonymous is right--it also helps to have friends who are super into makeup. I've been transformed many a time. I also have bad experience with that three-in-one eyeshadow. I almost didn't go to the cystic fibrosis gala because I looked like a raccoon. Thank god for eye makeup remover. Make sure you have some of that, too!
Post a Comment
<< Home